Rail Ticket Purchasing
We do not currently offer any ticket purchasing facilities via the Traveline Cymru website or app. However, when searching for train journeys on our Journey Planner, you will see a ‘Buy Train Tickets’ button at the bottom of your search results box.
If you click this button, you will be taken to the Transport for Wales Rail booking system, where you can buy your ticket regardless of which train company you are using. You choose to send your tickets by post, collect them from a ticket machine or download them as a Mobile barcode ticket.
You can also buy your train tickets from Transport for Wales Rail in the following ways:
- On mobile/app: You can buy tickets and download them to the Transport for Wales Rail mobile app or choose to collect them from a ticket machine up to 5 minutes before the train departs. The app can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play.
- By phone: You can ring Transport for Wales Rail on 03333 211 202 and choose to receive your tickets by post or collect them from a ticket machine. Lines are open between 08:00 and 22:00 Monday to Saturday or 09:00 and 17:00 Sundays.
- At the station: You can buy tickets at a Transport for Wales Rail ticket office or machines. The ticket machines only sell tickets for same day travel.
- On the train: You must buy your ticket before you board the train unless there is no ticket office or ticket machine.
All types of Railcards allow you to purchase a train ticket at a reduced rate, typically 1/3 off the price of an adult fare. Some Railcards will only give you a discounted fare, while others will cover the people travelling with you.
There is no limit to the number of times you can use your Railcard although some Railcards can only be used outside of peak times. You can typically purchase a railcard that is valid for 1 year, whilst some offer 3-year option.
- 16-17 Saver Railcard: Save up to 50% on your rail travel.
- 16-25 Railcard: Save 1/3 on your rail fares.
- 26-30 Railcard: Save 1/3 on off-peak rail fares.
- Disabled Persons Railcard: Save 1/3 on rail travel for you and a friend or travel companion.
- Family and Friends Railcard: Up to four adults get 1/3 off and up to four children (aged 5 to 15) get 60% off rail fares.
- Senior Railcard: Save 1/3 on all off-peak journeys.
- Two Together Railcard: Save 1/3 on your off-peak rail travel for you and the person you travel with most - not just if you are a couple, it could be with a family member or your best friend.
- Veterans Railcard: Save 1/3 on most rail fares.
Transport for Wales Rail also offer a series of railcards for travel along specific lines across their network. For more information, please visit the Transport for Wales Rail website.
Welsh Concessionary Rail Travel
If you have a Concessionary Travel Pass from a Welsh Local Authority, you can travel free on many Transport for Wales Rail trains at different times throughout the year.
You can travel between:
- Wrexham – Hawarden Bridge
- Machynlleth – Pwllheli (Cambrian Coastline) – October to March only
- Llandudno – Blaenau Ffestiniog (Conwy Valley line)
- Shrewsbury and Llanelli/Swansea (Heart of Wales Line) – October to March only
You’ll need to get a free ticket from the ticket office before you travel. If there is no ticket office or if it’s closed, you can get one from the Conductor on the train.
You’ll also get 1/3 off tickets to travel on the Cardiff and Valley network after 09:30 Monday - Friday and any time at weekends and bank holidays.
For more information, please visit the Transport for Wales Rail website.